I’m a bit of a freak when it comes to kitchen organization. Take for example this shelf in the baking cupboard above. Yes, each item is poured into a clear glass container, and yes, Each clear glass container is labeled with a labelmaker.
What goes where is also exceedingly important. Everything has to be in a cupboard that’s accessible to what you’re doing. Cups next to the fridge, potholders in the drawer next to the stove, plastic baggies reachable with one hand to where I make sandwiches in the morning.
It took me five years to perfect the old apartment kitchen, and this one is twice as big with three times as many cupboards. I’ve rearranged twice already (much to Nancy’s dismay), and I just finished the third installment. Admittedly, it’s putting me in the mood to bake…
Record heat is the talk of the day on the Book of Faces, and all I can think about is hot, delicious zucchini muffins.
The thing is, there’s a delightfully cool breeze coming through the kitchen window, it’s reaching noon-time and still 74 out, and so while it seems crazy to voluntarily heat my kitchen to 375-degrees on the purported hottest day in five years, this run-on sentence is trying to say that I’m going to do it anyway.
Who could refuse this already defrosted shredded zucchini from last summer’s bounty??
- 1/2 C. applesauce
- 1/4 C mashed banana (applesauce and banana can be substituted for 2 eggs)
- 2 C. sugar
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. vegetable oil
- 2 C. shredded zucchini, unpeeled, liquid squeezed out
- 3 C. flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 C. chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375-deg F. Whisk applesauce, banana (or egg), sugar, vanilla, and veg. oil together until well blended.
- Stir in drained zucchini. Add flour, baking powder, salt, soda, and cinnamon and mix until well blended.
- Fold in nuts, if desired.
- Turn into greased muffin tins and bake 18-25 minutes or until pastry pick comes out clean
** You can also cook the batter in a loaf pan to make a bread. In that case, bake 45 min-1 hour
Makes approximately 20 muffins
One thought on “Kitchen organization and visions of zucchini muffins”
Comments are closed.