My co-workers asked me what I was doing for the 4th of July weekend….
Co-workers: “What are you doing for the 4th of July?”
Me: “Digging rocks out of my backyard.”
Co-workers: “Really? For five days?”
When I bought a charming little bungalow
, the backyard was shrouded by a blanket of white. When the snow melted, I was greeted by stumps, fountains (seriously), underground hoses (for irrigation, duh), and lots and lots of rocks.
In the middle of the yard.
Lots of rocks.
So two solid months of rock digging led up to a very special weekend, when the last of the rocks were finally cleared out, and, in it’s place, SOD!
As a part of this transformation, I was also forced to finally address the five or so relatively big maple tree stumps in the way.
The point is, working outside in the pursuit of home improvement is hard, and I can think of few better excuses for a homemade fudgy pop.
Homemade Fudgy Pops
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 2 TB cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 C. milk
- 1 TB butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and milk
- Heat on medium, stirring constantly, until boiling and thick
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla
- Pour into popsicle mold and freeze until firm
* Pro-Tip: to get them out of the mold, pour a bit of running hot water over the mold to let the plastic expand and release the fudgy goodness.